Less than 90 days consecutively

Am I subject to a visa? 

If you are a Swiss national or from an EU Country, you are NOT subject to a visa.

To enter and stay in the Organization's Host States, Switzerland and France, any national of a third country (i.e. not a national of a country within the European Economic Area or Switzerland) is in principle subject to a visa requirement. more

Please submit an application to the Swiss Consulate or French Consulate competent for your place of residence. A Swiss invitation letter will be sent to you by e-mail within a few days and the Convention d'accueil should be ready every Monday or Friday afternoon.

How to request

Nationals from the following countries are exempted from Swiss Visa:

  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Japan
  • Malaysia
  • New Zealand
  • Principallity of Andorra
  • St Martin
  • Singapour
  • Vatican

THE CONVENTION D'ACCUEIL IS REQUIRED IN ALL CASES as it serves as a work permit in France for nationals of countries who are not members of EEE & who are not Swiss.

Given that the Organization is located on the border between France and Switzerland, we strongly recommend that you contact the relevant consulates for information on the entry conditions applicable to you in these two countries, specifying the duration and nature of your work at CERN. Where appropriate, you are invited to take the necessary steps to obtain the requisite documents, in particular a visa for entry to the Schengen member countries:

- either by going to the Swiss Consulate competent for your usual place of residence, taking the CERN invitation letter with you, explaining that you will become a member of the CERN personnel and that as such you will be entitled to freedom of access to, and residence on, Swiss territory.

- or by going to the French Consulate competent for your usual place of residence as soon as you receive the CERN invitation, presenting the convention d'accueil and explaining that you will become a member of the CERN personnel and that as such you will be entitled to freedom of access to, and residence on, French territory (without visa charges and without delay).  It is important that you sign this convention yourself before presenting it to any authorities.

This visa does not enable you to reside in the Schengen area for more than 90 days within any 6 month period nor to obtain a "titre de sejour".


How to request an Invitation Letter for Visa purpose

To start the procedure, the following information (together with a scan copy of your passport) is to be sent to neutrino.secretariat@cern.ch:

  • First Name
  • Family Name
  • Birth Date
  • Birth Place
  • Nationality
  • Home Address and Phone (in the US if you live there)
  • E-mail
  • Passport no. and Type (ordinary or special)
  • Passport Issue Date
  • Passport Expiration Date
  • Employer/Institute's Name, Address and Phone
  • Name of the Town in which you will apply for Visa
  • Exact dates of stay at CERN
  • Are you coming several times in the coming year (in the coming 365 days)?
    • ​ If yes, please specify approximately how many days and how many times?
  • will you live in France or in Switzerland?
  • Are you coming with your family? 
    • ​If yes, please provide us with their personal information and the scan of their passports as well. 

During your stay at CERN

  • Name of the Funding Institute
  • Name of the Project
  • Name of the Team Leader (TL)
  • Name of your supervisor if different than the TL